It’s now a new year, and what a better time than to re-evaluate your wardrobe! I’ve come up with a list of key style pieces every man and woman should have in their closet. If you don’t have these things in your closet now, consider buying them in 2015. And of course, you can always ask me for help finding anything on my list!
Lets start off with the top must haves for men, because we can all admit men don’t typically like to shop and when they do they usually want practical clothes and accessories!
- A good suit and a nice white dress shirt-this is top of the list! Every man needs a nice suit, invest in one… it’s worth it! Buy a classic 2 button style. A suit in charcoal will match anything and is a great neutral color and you will need a crisp white shirt to go with it.
- A black and brown dress belt-you can’t wear a suit or slacks with a dress shirt without a good belt… enough said.
- A pair of black dress shoes-try finding a pair that you can wear with a suit and jeans so they will be more versatile.
- A good dress coat-this may not be a must for the south but it is for any man above the Mason-Dixon Line!
- A nice pair of jeans-every man should have casual weekend jeans as well as a pair you can wear for date night. A dark wash always looks more dressy.
- A handsome watch-this doesn’t have to be a Rolex or TAG. Choose any watch that is sleek and stylish.
- Khaki pants-you probably already know, but khaki matches everything and can dress up any outfit.
- A cashmere sweater-you will get miles and miles of use from a nice neutral color cashmere sweater. If cashmere is out of your budget a cotton/cashmere blend is just as good!
Here are the must have essentials for women.
- A black dress- the LBD has been a staple item for years but if you want the most miles from your dress buy one that is about and inch to inch 1/2 above the knee and in a classic not too trendy style.
- A black blazer-A tailored blazer is classic, feminine and looks great on all body types. Pair it with anything: jeans, little dresses, trousers, skirts. Make sure to find one that fits you well and accentuates your waist—you don’t want it to look like it’s swallowing you!
- A statement necklace-having one (or two) of these can really change your outfit from just ok to WOW! Look for one in a neutral or with many colors to match anything.
- A pair of red heels or flats-red will give your outfit a pop of color and can be worn with browns, black, blues, white or cream and greens…. almost anything!
- Black knee-high boots and tights-Either flat or with a heel you will wear these for years! Tights paired with a light weight dress will allow you to wear it in the colder seasons.
- Classic trench coat-invest in a nice one because you will wear it forever. Either black or tan… your preference. Look for an A-line style that will cinch your waist in.
- Dark wash jeans-I would suggest a boot or baby boot leg because it is the most flattering style on everyone. A dark wash can be worn casually as well as dressy.
- A black pair of heels-they don’t have to be sky high but a heel is needed with a nice dress, a suit or even for a date. This is an investment piece since you want it to be comfortable and last many years.
- Accessory in leopard print-whether it’s a scarf, clutch, belt or shoes a bit of leopard brings interest to your outfit.
- A wrap dress- why? Because Diane Von Furstenberg says so! But seriously, a wrap dress is flattering on any body type and they are comfortable and easy to wear!
I hope my list has helped to give you direction on what items are essential for a well rounded wardrobe!